Upcoming change

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Jan 9 05:00:46 UTC 2004

> > I am a (currently unemployed) mouse.  I worry when the cat announces
> > changes that the cat says are of no interest to mice.
> >
> > I worry especially when I can not clearly see a benifit to either cat
> > or mice.
>
> Look again.  They may wish to make more than 99 updates
> a day to the zone(s) and the yyyymmddxx format is kind of
> restrictive in that regard.

Indeed.  PIR and UltraDNS update the .org zone (and SOA serials) every
couple of minutes, and propagate changes in an equivalently snappy
fashion.  In UltraDNS's case, the format appears to be yyyymmxxxx, or
perhaps yyyyxxxxxx (hard to figure out what the scheme is this early
in the year).  I'm sure Verisign has gotten its share of "why the hell
can't you guys do this" email since PIR started offering nice fast
change turnarounds.

I'm just hoping that the choice of a time_t as serial is not a
harbinger of djbdns in the gtld servers...

                                        ---Rob