GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jan 8 18:32:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:14:18PM -0600, Rob Healey wrote:

>  For Juniper: ( You know who you are! )
>
> 	 Why not release an "Olive CD" with each new major JUNOS bump? It
> 	 wouldn't hurt to have every schmoe in the universe that can boot
> 	 a FreeBSD ISO also be competant in JUNOS! Place it as an iso download
> 	 in the software docs area.
>
> 	 For the squemish in the legal dept. you could remove the code that
> 	 handles Juniper hardware from the distro and still have an excellent
> 	 CLI engine and minimal routing platform simulator.
>
> 	 I bet if you passed out a stack of "Olive CD's" at a NANOG there would
> 	 be plenty of takers!

I still think there is a market for low-end 100Mbps-only "PC routers" for
which they could easily sell thousands of copies of JunOS without the jpfe
package at $1000 a pop. Considering they actually managed to add
hardware-less firewalling in 5.x, I'm still not entirely convinced that
they aren't thinking the same thing. But alas, it's probably too
innovative a concept, and might cut into the "stupid with too much money"
M5 buying market a tiny bit.