GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Wed Jan 7 16:57:09 UTC 2004

> > not trying to defend the 7500 platform, it's obsolete all right.
> > However, free is music to my ears.
>
> What about longer term maintenance issues? Is the 7500 not scheduled for
> EOL from Cisco 'soon' ? So, purchasing 7500 bits that might be dropped by
> 'normal' Cisco support in 1 year versus purchasing some other hardware
> that will be in support longer might pay out in the longer term?

They recently refreshed the platform with RSP16, VIP8, and MX. It's still
a viable platform for many medium size providers.

I personally wouldn't use it for anything passing more than a couple
hundred megs (at absolute most), but we have plenty of nodes like that.
Actually, we've been seeing a trend where we are replacing 4700's with
7505/7's.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --