GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Jan 7 16:00:33 UTC 2004

>> Dan Armstrong wrote:
>> GSRs are useless if you are doing any kind of
>> aggregation. Their traffic shaping abilities
>> are embarrassing.

> Neil J. McRae
> Historically yes, but no longer. The latest line of
> GSR cards now give them much greater capability in
> this area even though it was never designed as an
> access box.

There still is the issue of cost though. GSR line cards are not cheap.

>> 7500 is the classic aggregator.  They do the job
>> quite well, actually. Based on cost right now, I
>> would take 10 7500s over 1 7600 anyday.

> If you are just aggregating E1/T1 then I'd agree,
> but the minute you need DS-3/E3/STM-1/ATM/100BaseT/
> Gige aggregation then the 7600 is a far better
> choice cost wise

I would put 10mbps Ethernet and possibly DS3 in the same pool as E1/T1
though; this still remains in the realm of things a 7500 does fine. I'm
not trying to defend the 7500 platform, it's obsolete all right.
However, free is music to my ears.

Michel.