GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Wed Jan 7 05:19:01 UTC 2004

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> Never under any condition let anyone tell you that Juniper is perfect...
> But, as everyone that uses both will tell you, it is "better" (at most
> things).

They tend to be (in our experience) a "set it and forget it" thing,
while you can spend considerable time tweaking your Cisco; but
admittedly ours is just an M5 edge (two gig-Es into an OC48).  The rest
of our gear is Cisco, and yes, we draw straws to see who has to mess
with the Juniper when it has to be messed with.

And speaking ancient history, we retired a 7505/RSP1 to the testbed a
few years ago.  It had two 6E cards (original core) and later a 2FE to
play router-on-a-stick to a 5500/NFFC-II.

We're now using 6500s (core) and 4500s/3550s (distribution).  The old
RSP1 looks pretty silly now :-)

Jeff