Out of office/vacation messages

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 15:44:21 UTC 2004

>  - run on Windows,
> Oops, I see your problem.  No self-respecting network operator runs any
> M$W boxen as an MTA, so Templin is an imposter/troll.

This isnt true, the majority run Windows (at least thats what I see in various
meetings and from the user-agent headers)

I use OSX but I still have a windows laptop and virtual PC as unfortunately the
world forces me to require the use of Windows to interact with their documents
and applications...

> Some foolish individuals run M$W MUA.  I don't such things myself, but
> both Netscape and Eudora work fine for me on MacOS, so I'd expect them
> to behave on M$W.

See above, I have Outlook on my Windows boxes in order to receive the odd bits
of mail requiring me to open their attachments on Windows.

>  - have NANOG-approved OOO messages,
> Folks running reasonable MTA/MUA don't have this problem, so why don't
> you check the message headers to see what clueful folks are using,
> rather than trolling the list?  You can see all the message headers,
> can't you?

I dont think this is 'nanog approved' its basic netiquette, the complaints are
that you shouldnt reply to emails not sent to you personally eg list mail as we
dont care that your not receiving messages today! Actually Nanog isnt too bad
considering how many people are on it ooo messages are quite rare, compared to
various other much smaller lists (100s of people on them) which I'm on and
regularly generate dozens of ooo's at a time..

Steve