Best Common Practice - Listening to local routes from peers?

Michael Smith mksmith at noanet.net
Fri Feb 27 04:22:59 UTC 2004

Hello:

We have a customer of a customer who is attempting to send traffic from
IP space we control, through the Internet and back into us via one of
our transit connections.

I have filters in place that block all inbound traffic from the blocks I
announce coming in over my transit and peering connections.  This is
breaking the downstream customer ability to route from them, through
UUNet, and back to me.

I'm curious what the Best Common Practice is for this type of scenario.
I have always used this type of filtering as a way to bury
source-spoofed traffic in a DDOS situation but I'm not sure if it's
appropriate, generally speaking.

If other operators would like to reply directly to me I would be more
than happy to summarize to the list.  Thank you for any assistance you
can provide.

Michael Smith
mksmith at noanet.net