Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

Brett Watson brett at the-watsons.org
Thu Feb 26 18:23:43 UTC 2004

>> 1) their backbones currently "work" - changing them
>> into something which may or may not "work better" is a
>> non-trivial operation, and risks the network.

i would disagree.  their backbone tend to reach scaling problems, hence the
need for bleeding/leading edge technologies.  that's been my experience in
three past-large networks.

> This is perhaps current. Check back to see large deployments
> GSR - sprint/UUNEt
> GRF - uunet
> Juniper - UUNET/CWUSA

indeed, and going back even further

is-is, 7000 and the original SSE - mci/sprint
vip and netflow - genuity (the original)/probably many others

-b