How relable does the Internet need to be? (Was: Re: Converged Network Threat)

sgorman1 at gmu.edu sgorman1 at gmu.edu
Thu Feb 26 17:47:28 UTC 2004

So does this mean we also need a regulator to make sure fiber providers "fess up to the actual diversity of their physical paths".  The "R" word is not one to be tossed around lightly.  When does it apply and when does it not, or does it never apply.  The more critical you get get the more "R" creeps in, but who defines critical and when does that rise above a threshold to induce "R"?