How relable does the Internet need to be? (Was: Re: Converged Network Threat)

joe mcguckin joe at via.net
Thu Feb 26 09:23:09 UTC 2004

If the internet core is going to carry traffic that traditionally was
delivered via switched tdm networks, I think we can expect significantly
more regulation in the coming years. The FCC and state PUC's will want to
see VOIP reliability and call completion statistics that are on par with
existing tdm networks.

That means ISP's of moderate size and larger will have to have buildouts
comparable to the existing phone networks: e.g. Hardened physical facilities
and triply redundant network paths into every service area. That's a very
expensive undertaking and may lead the internet business back into the
regulated, guaranteed margin business models of the ILECS.

E911 and FBI surveillance are just the tip of the iceberg...

Joe