Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Wed Feb 25 19:37:24 UTC 2004

David Meyer wrote:

>	No doubt. However, the problem is: What constitutes
>	"unnecessary system complexity"? A designed system's
>	robustness comes in part from its complexity. So its not
>	that complexity is inherently bad; rather, it is just
>	that you wind up with extreme sensitivity to outlying
>	events which is exhibited by catastrophic cascading
>	failures if you push a system's complexity past some
>	point; these are the so-called "robust yet fragile"
>	systems (think NE power outage).

I think you hit the nail on the head. I view complexity as diminishing
returns play. When you increase complexity, the increase does benefit a
decreasing percentage of the users. A way to manage complexity is
splitting large systems into smaller pieces and try to make the pieces
independent enough to survive a failure of neighboring piece. This
approach exists at least in the marketing materials of many
telecommunications equipment vendors. The question then becomes, "what
good is a backbone router without BGP process". So far I haven´t seen a
router with a disposable entity on interface or peer basis. So if a BGP
speaker to 10.1.1.1 crashes the system would still be able to maintain
relationship to 10.2.2.2. Obviously the point of single device
availability becomes moot if we can figure out a way to route/switch
around the failed device quickly enough. Today we don´t even have a
generic IP layer liveness protocol so by default packets will be
blackholed for a definite duration until a routing protocol starts to
miss it´s hello packets. (I´m aware of work towards this goal)

In summary, I feel systems should be designed to run independent in all
failure modes. If you lose 1-n neighbors the system should be
self-sufficient on figuring out near-immediately the situation, continue
working while negotiating with neighbors about the overall picture.

Pete