Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Wed Feb 25 19:06:03 UTC 2004

jared at puck.nether.net (Jared Mauch) writes:

> 	I keep hear of Frame-Relay and ATM signaling that is going
> to happen in large providers MPLS cores.  That's right, your "safe" TDM
> based services, will be transported over someones IP backbone first.

One of my DS3/DS1 vendors recently told me of a plan to use MPLS for part
of the route inside their switching center.  I said "not with my circuits
you won't".  Once they understood that I was willing to take my business
elsewhere or simply do without, they decided that an M13 was worth having
after all.  My advice is, walk softly but carry a big stick.  When we all
say "everything over IP" that means teaching more devices how to speak
802.11 or other packet-based access protocols rather than giving them ATM
or F/R or dialup modem circuitry.  It does *not* mean simulating an ISO-L1
or ISO-L2 "circuit" using a ISO-L3 "network".  (Ick.)
--
Paul Vixie