Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Wed Feb 25 19:06:20 UTC 2004

Jared Mauch wrote:

>	On the sunny side, I see this improving over time.  Software
>bugs will be squashed.  Poorly designed networks will be reconfigured to
>better handle these situations.

The trend running against these points is the added features and
complexity into the software due to market requirements. So while the
box you got two years ago might have less bugs today, there are more
attractive new devices with new bugs in the old and new features. People
seem to be quite convinced that if you put more features into a box,
people will pay more for it.

On your second point, it seems that most network protocols are
converging towards port TCP/80. So unless network performance and
availability degrades really badly, most users are indifferent and the
1st level helpdesk at their provider tells that "at times the internet
might be slow" and they usually are quite happy and understanding with
that answer because they don´t know that it could be better.

So outside Fortune 500 and some clueful individuals, where is the market
for non-poorly designed bug free "Internet"?

Pete