Level 3 statement concerning 2/23 events (nothing to see, move along)

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Feb 25 14:09:36 UTC 2004

Are you sure no one died as a result?  My hobby is volunteering as a
firefighter and EMT.  If Level3's network sits between a dispatch center
or mobile data terminal and a key resource, it could be a factor
(hospital status website, hazardous materials action guide, VoIP link
that didn't reroute because the control plane was happy but the
forwarding plane was sad, etc.).

And if the problem could happen to another network tomorrow but could be
prevented or patched, wouldn't inquiring minds want to know?  Your life
might be more interesting when the fit hits the shan if you have the
same vulnerability.