Proposal: De-boganising New Address Blocks

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Feb 25 04:37:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> Good idea, no contest. Now, the devil's advocate asks: what makes you
> think that operators/ISPs are going to react faster to your pilot stuff
> being bogonized than they would to real traffic being bogonized, as if
> it's a pilot project it's by definition not urgent and can wait
> tomorrow?
>
> Although I salute the effort, I am concerned that this will not change
> current reactive behavior which is to wait for the shit to hit the fan
> to update bogon lists. Might sound sad, but I think the way to

Assuming the pilot program does some form of reachability testing and then
some effort is made to notify those with bad filters (good luck), then at
least this notifies them before it's a real inconvenience for anyone.
They may or may not choose to react, but at least this puts them on notice
that they have a problem that will be real in the near future.

 Atlantic Net                |