[IP] VeriSign prepares to relaunch "Site Finder" -- calls

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Tue Feb 24 21:54:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > Unlaterally forcing it upon everyone and breaking non www based apps is
> > the wrong way to do it.
> if you have well founded views on this topic and you have not yet shared
> them with ICANN's SSAC, please do so.  see <http://secsac.icann.org/>.

There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said explicitly and
clearly and multiple times already.

I can only speak as a network engineer, and Verisign has already made it
abundantly clear they dismiss engineering views entirely, they see us as a
bunch of whiny anti-business geeks with no grip on reality.

Does SSAC have any authority over what Verisign does? If SSAC recommends
something contrary to Verisign's designs, what's stopping Verisign from
going ahead and doing it anyway? My questions to SSAC are not what they're
currently asking for input for (according to their page, they are only
looking for security and stability input at the moment).

If you know the proper ICANN committee for these questions, I'm all ears.

-Dan