routing invalid IP addresses

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 19:21:35 UTC 2004

248.x.x.x is in 'Class E' space which is invalid on the Internet...

x.x.255.x are perfectly valid addresses, indeed we have 193.0.255.0/24..

subnet-zero isnt relevant either, this would be for eg a class B using a
255.255.255.0 subnet mask, since we dont bother with classful addressing and
we're not talking about the local addressing policy this isnt of relevance.

you have some confusion with 'ip route' and acls, these do not fulfill the same
purpose.. ip route wont help yuo as that is used to control the route to the
destination and that would be your legitimate host. an acl could help tho, you
can safely deny 'access-l 100 den ip 240.0.0.0 15.255.255.255 any' to block
anything with a similar source address. just in case you get too excited with
your acls, dont go arbitrarily blocking other addresses (multicast, bogons,
rfc1918 [10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x] else u may break some stuff!)

and just to clarify your problem of how these invalid addresses were 'routed' ..
as above packets are routeed based on destination only, you can spoof and put
junk in the source and it will still traverse the internet quite legitimately.

Steve