Anycast and windows servers

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Fri Feb 20 13:33:49 UTC 2004

At 05:43 AM 2/20/2004, you wrote:
>Hence the reason why I want the route to cease being advertised if the box
>"fails."
>
>I'm trying to avoid putting yet another server load balancer box in front
>of the windows box to withdraw the route so a different "working" box will
>be closest.  It may be an oxymoron, but I'm trying to make the windows
>service (if not a particular windows box) as "reliable" as possible
>without introducing more boxes than necessary.

You haven't said what type of service you want to make as reliable as
possible. It sounds like you want to use clustering or network load
balancing. With clustering, you can have the service present on both
machines and if the link between the two fails or if the service on the
primary machine fails, the second machine will take over. You can also use
shared Fiber-channel or SCSI devices between the two servers. You can also
use network load balancing to share a non-transaction based service between
servers. If you do it this way, you will get automatic load balancing to
double the speed and capacity between the two or more servers in the NLB
cluster since they all service requests all the time. In both cases, you
will create a virtual IP address which receives all connections and both
machines in the cluster will determine which machine handles each
connection. This isn't hard and we do it all the time.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey