Anti-spam System Idea

Rainer Atkins raineratkins at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 03:21:02 UTC 2004

I have a different idea about how spam could be dealt with, which I have yet
to see proposed or discussed on Nanog.  Everything suggested is always a
technical patch trying to deal with the fact that spammers can make a lot of
money.  And, regardless of the patch you apply, they will find a way around
it because the financial incentive is big enough.

It seems to me that if a spammer has a network of 10,000 trojaned broadband
connected computers at his disposal to send spam, its not much use if no one
wants to pay him to do this.  So, instead of focusing on the spammer focus
on the spamme'rs customer.  Place the cost of spam mitigation on them, pass
legislation that makes them liable if their product or service is advertised
by spam.

This should generate some freedom of speech flames. :-)