Anti-spam System Idea

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Sun Feb 15 23:30:15 UTC 2004

Sean Donelan wrote:
> DialUp Lists (DUL) dns block lists permits you to ignore e-mail from
> many dynamic IP addresses. You can configure your mail server to do this
> today without waiting for ISPs to do anything.
>
> Like most other "simple" solutions, how effective is it?

We block known dialup netblks. Catches < 5% of spam. Why? Because the real
culprits are xDSL, CABLE and other systems with broadband connections. These
account for about 80% of the spam attempts we observe.

The idea here is not just to prevent the receipt of spam (which is what
DNSBLs can accomplish), rather, it is to prevent the generation of spam
that is accounting for such a growing amount of everyone's network traffic.

If you block the ability of non-legitimate MTAs (such as open proxies and
spamiruses) to send spam, you reduce the network bandwidth waste that spam
is consuming. (As a side effect, you would also reduce the spread of viruses
by email.)

--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer