Anti-spam System Idea

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sun Feb 15 22:37:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> If we advertise the DHCP pools for AS1312 in a DUL, we solve the problem for
> those sites that use the DUL we list them in.
>
> If we block outbound port 25 SYN packets from origin addresses in the DHCP
> address blocks, we solve the problem for everybody.

No...you just speed up the migration (which has already begun) to spam
proxies that use the local ISP's mail servers as smart hosts.  Then you
have to come up with a way to rate-limit customer outbound SMTP traffic.

BTW...who brought SARS (or more likely just flu) to nanog30?  I drove (so
I didn't catch it on the plane) and symptoms (sore throat, congestion,
very high fever) started thursday.  I've spent most of the weekend in bed
waiting to die.

 Atlantic Net                |