BGP - weight

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 17:46:09 UTC 2004

> Dumb question:
> If I apply a equal weight to all our transit/peers, will
> that affect route announcements to iBGP or eBGP peers anyhow?

No it wont affect announcements, weight is local to the router you apply it.

> We got a very simple setup:
> - 2 routers on the border to transit/peers (that's were i want
>   to set the weight)
> - 1 edge router to customers
> - core router running BGP as well
>
> What I want to achieve is that traffic leaves through
> the border router it arrived, rather than have it bounced around.

eBGP should be preferred over iBGP anyhow assuming all other things are equal,
if theyre not equal then either make them equal or you probably want to choose a
different path anyhow (eg shorter as path).

if you dont want any traffic to go across your network why bother meshing the
ibgp in the first place?

> We had some recent issues were it looks like the core got "out of sync" with
> the border (looks more like a sw issue than just convergence delay) and
> packets bounced back and forth between them. I know this doesn't solve the
> cause but the before digging for the initial reason I want a quick workaround.

hmm, i'd suggest emergency maintenance before doing some weird screwy stuff like
that :)

Steve