SMTP relaying policies for Commercial ISP customers...?

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Fri Feb 13 19:17:47 UTC 2004

on Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:35:17PM -0500, Andy Dills wrote:
> For any responsible ISP, the problem is the spam coming into your
> mailservers, not leaving. As long as you quickly castrate the people who
> do relay spam through you, you're not going to have an egress spam
> problem.

I beg to differ (though you did qualify your statement with
"responsible", so maybe this critique doesn't apply). Yes, anyone
providing Internet services such as inbound mail has to deal with spam.
But to assume that all spam goes through your outbound mail servers is
simply not commensurate with the facts.

Since 1/1/04, we've rejected many email messages on our servers as
having originated from hosts with generic rDNS symptomatic of
dynamic/broadband/dialup/etc. IP assignment. Of those that were
rejected, here is a quick summary, showing the domain or ccTLD of the
originating host for those representing 20 or more attempts.

  585 comcast.net                    46 co.uk
  402 rr.com                         46 tiscali.nl
  188 attbi.com                      43 yahoo.com
  175 pacbell.net                    41 rogers.com
  165 ameritech.net                  40 mchsi.com
  130 shawcable.net                  38 cgocable.net
  128 adelphia.net                   36 snet.net
  125 optonline.net                  35 mindspring.com
  106 wanadoo.fr                     34 interbusiness.it
  105 verizon.net                    32 surfer.at
  103 bellsouth.net                  30 telus.net
   89 charter.com                    30 go2lnk.com
   88 dsl-verizon.net                30 com.br
   80 t-dialin.net                   29 net.au
   79 swbell.net                     28 rima-tde.net
   63 ne.jp                          27 wideopenwest.com
   61 videotron.ca                   24 bbtt.de
   58 net.il                         22 nuvox.net
   51 proxad.net                     21 com.hk
   48 com.tw                         21 bbtec.net
   48 a2000.nl                       20 telia.com
                                     20 charter-stl.com

These are not messages originating through known ISP mail servers, which
we have to a large extent "offwhitelisted" - meaning we don't reject,
but rather add a header to, such messages so that the header can be used
as part of a quarantine strategy. Any large ISP mailhost we've received
spam through (such as the freemail providers who are the greatest source
of Nigerian 419/lottery scams) is "offwhitelisted" and may be subject to
further blocking on a case by case basis, or to further filtering.

Some of the messages aggregated above may well have been virus or worm
delivery attempts; I haven't analyzed the day-to-day breakdown, but I'd
be surprised if MyDoom doesn't figure in to a large extent in the cases
documented above. But that is of no consequence; spam or virus messages
both constitute abuse by out-of-band, often compromised, hosts.

The problem of abusive mail originating from dynamic and otherwise
non-sanctioned sources is real; viruses such as SoBig are suspected of
being used in a vast net of compromised hosts, to evade other filtering
strategies.

 Sobig.a and the Spam You Receive Today - LURHQ
 http://www.lurhq.com/sobig.html

 Sobig.e - Evolution of the Worm - LURHQ
 http://www.lurhq.com/sobig-e.html

 Sobig.f Examined - LURHQ
 http://www.lurhq.com/sobig-f.html

In an eight-minute window on one of my servers yesterday, I saw the
following:

WKS       Q 12:12:54 (9351)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 68.59.188.188
          (pcp02265132pcs.batlfl01.tn.comcast.net)
WKS       Q 12:13:23 (9356)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 81.9.232.163
          (cmr-81-9-232-163.telecable.es)
WKS       Q 12:15:21 (9513)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 200.55.72.231
          (200-55-72-231.dsl.prima.net.ar)
WKS       Q 12:15:49 (9519)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 142.169.46.107
          (c142.169.46-107.clta.globetrotter.net)
WKS       Q 12:15:51 (9520)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 142.165.147.216
          (hsdbsk142-165-147-216.sasknet.sk.ca)
WKS       Q 12:15:56 (9521)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 141.158.119.119
          (pool-141-158-119-119.pitt.east.verizon.net)
WKS       Q 12:17:03 (9556)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 81.59.87.42
          (dslam42-87-59-81.dyndsl.zonnet.nl)
WKS       Q 12:17:05 (9560)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 81.50.196.106
          (AToulouse-206-1-6-106.w81-50.abo.wanadoo.fr)
WKS       Q 12:17:07 (9579)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 24.98.85.82
          (c-24-98-85-82.atl.client2.attbi.com)
WKS       Q 12:17:13 (9589)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 80.236.74.213
          (ip-213.net-80-236-74.issy.rev.numericable.fr)
WKS       Q 12:17:22 (9592)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 80.167.186.245
          (x1-6-00-0c-6e-28-c6-cd.k345.webspeed.dk)
WKS       Q 12:17:25 (9593)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 80.138.216.95
          (p508AD85F.dip.t-dialin.net)
WKS       Q 12:19:01 (9646)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 62.163.223.124
          (a223124.upc-a.chello.nl)
WKS       Q 12:19:05 (9647)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 63.121.234.49
          (63-121-234-49.res.nb.cable.sigecom.net)
WKS       Q 12:21:25 (9796)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 24.15.14.27
          (c-24-15-14-27.client.comcast.net)
WKS       Q 12:21:26 (9797)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 83.117.87.199
          (c537557c7.cable.wanadoo.nl)
WKS       Q 12:21:28 (9798)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 83.117.88.137
          (c53755889.cable.wanadoo.nl)
WKS       Q 12:21:29 (9799)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 200.56.179.150
          (customer-GDL-179-150.megared.net.mx)
WKS       Q 12:21:31 (9800)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 24.151.149.112
          (ip-wv-24-151-149-112.charterwv.net)
WKS       Q 12:21:32 (9801)
      to: schampeo at hesketh.com
    from: <aaauto1327 at optonline.net> at 81.167.103.107
          (dyn-81-167-103-107.ppp.tiscali.fr)

(WKS) is just a marker for "Well known spammer". Anyway, I count 20
attempts, presumably from the same sender, all from different machines,
all with generic rDNS indicative of broadband/dynamic/dialup service, in
nine countries (US, ES, AR, CA, NL, FR, DK, DE, MX) and on nineteen
different ISPs -- all within eight minutes of one another. Indeed, each
attempt within each group of attempts came mere seconds apart, after
the previous rejection. There is some serious communication going on
between the controlling spammer and the hosts that make up his network
of compromised hosts.

(I posted this to spam-l earlier today, to demonstrate that any effort
to block "some" hosts with generic rDNS will fail, as the spammers will
simply try another host, in a different country, from another ISP, and
therefore efforts on the part of a single ISP to limit out-of-band mail
through rate-limiting or other such narrow-focus strategies will fail.)

I strongly encourage any ISP here who has a policy of not blocking
outbound port 25 (or redirecting to their own mail servers), or of
refusing to assign non-generic rDNS to legitimate/sanctioned mail
sources on statically-assigned IPs, to reconsider whether their actions
are to a great extent responsible for the vast majority of spam sent
today.

Steve

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier