Interesting BIND error

Brian Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Thu Feb 12 22:31:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, February 12, 2004 4:52 pm, Brian Wallingford said:

> We've been seeing the following on all of our (9.2.1) authoritative
> nameservers since approximately 10am today.  Googling has turned up
> nothing;  I'm currently trying to glean some useful netflow data.  Just
> wondering if this is local, or if others have suddenly seen the same.
>
> Seems harmless enough, but the logging is eating a disproportionate amount
> of cpu.
>

> Feb 12 16:25:07 ns1 named[3150]: internal_send: 244.254.254.254#53:
> Invalid argument

Its possible that someone is spoofing UDP packets to your nameserver from
that IP range (which is IANA reserved space).  It looks like BIND is
refusing to send to that address, and thus the error.

At least, IMHO.  So I could be wrong :)

--
Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources

The AHBL - http://www.ahbl.org