IPv6 reverse lookup - lame delegation?

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Wed Feb 11 20:55:54 UTC 2004

edlewis at arin.net (Edward Lewis) writes:
> DNAME was kind of the "third record in."  The change in it's "status"
> pertained to the role it played in supporting bit sting labels -
> which is why the "reverse tree" is mentioned in the deprecation.
> Looking at the document now, the document ought to have read "the use
> of DNAME RRs in the support of bit string labels is deprecated" -
> based on my memory.

I wasn't there, but that's what the meeting notes seem to say, and that's
what the people who were there all seem to agree on.  Not that it matters;
the type is defined and at least one authority server implementation will
synthesize protocol-compliant CNAME RRs in the presence of DNAMEs, and so
the approach documented at www.isc.org/pubs/tn/ will universally work OK.
--
Paul Vixie