SMTP authentication for broadband providers

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Feb 11 20:36:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> Or should we just say "Submit mail via webmail, let's see the ISP block
> *THAT*"?

*THAT* has been suggested, and there are vendors trying to sell boxes to
ISPs that would allow them to block mail submission via webmail (or
wiretap mail submission via webmail depending on your NSA/FBI
requirements).  They are actually very nice boxes.

If you were a conspiracy nut, you might think the reason why FBI and
law enforcement take very little action against spammers is because
the FBI likes spam.  Spam is a useful tool to force ISPs to implement more
tools in their network to identify and trace traffic for spam fighting.
The same tools are readily adaptable.

If we want a Fortune 1000 network, the vendors are more than willing to
sell us all the boxes we need to implement it.