SMTP authentication for broadband providers

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Wed Feb 11 04:05:45 UTC 2004

> We're a medium sized regional MSO/broadband provider with 200k+
> mailboxes, strongly considering enabling SMTP authentication on our
> customer-facing SMTP mail servers.

We're relying exclusively on SMTP AUTH for SMTP relaying. The single
biggest issue is that it requires ongoing user education. After a few
weeks people forget what they did do get rid of the "Relaying denied"
error message. It doesn't help that SMTP AUTH is not an option the "New
Account Wizard" of Outlook and Outlook Express asks for. It has to be
setup manually after.

For "our" mail users it has been well received, ignoring the support
calls. A big advantage is that roaming user no longer have to worry about
who ip space they're on. That may change as networks install SMTP blocks.

Adi