[IP] VeriSign prepares to relaunch "Site Finder" -- calls

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Feb 10 16:24:04 UTC 2004

--On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 08:58 -0700 "Wayne E. Bouchard"
<web at typo.org> wrote:

> I still maintain that what sitefinder is trying to do is not really
> wrong but it's the wrong way to go about it. This is functionality
> that is strictly for web users. Why should every other protocol that
> relies on domain name service be subject to this garbage?

Precisely!  Only web users "benefit" from this "service."  And you know
what?  None of my users did.  Caused LOTS of confusion.  Does anyone know
of a way to get Gartner Group, Nielsen, or some other fairly non-biased
large group to do an actual poll/study on this in the next couple of
months?

> If they want to partner with someone to include functionality in their
> browser such that if gethostbyname() returns NX Domain and
> subsequently redirect to that site, this is fine by me. But I don't
> want everything else (ssh, ftp, smtp, pop, imap, etc, etc, etc) to
> have to compensate for the wildcard record. Making everyone else
> adjust just so that Verisign can earn another penny per share is just
> wrong.

We've all been saying this all along....Question is how to make it heard?
Who has contacts in the media?  Who would be willing to submit to
interviews?  Etc.

It's totally ridiculous, but this is a political issue being allowed to
effect the technical system, and as is almost always the case, it's a
miserable failure.

--
Michael Loftis