IPv6 reverse lookup - lame delegation?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Feb 10 14:51:51 UTC 2004

>>> if i try to log into my machines back in tokyo by IPv6 SSH, it takes
>>> very long time.  i guess i found the reason - (possible) lame delegation
>>> of blah.ip6.int.  ip6.arpa. query returns instantly.
>>> how could we fix it?
>> By fixing the software as ip6.int was deprecated 2 years+++
>> ago as you should already know.
> for backward compatibility reasons many software do
> 	query ip6.arpa;
> 	if (not found)
> 		query ip6.int;
> i'm not too sure if we can remove the "query ip6.int" part today.

if, as you say, there was instant response to the ip6.arpa query,
then jeroen's response that the software was broken seems even
more clear.

and i don't believe in 'do-gooder' software that tries to make
broken things work anyway.  if it succeeds, no one notices and
says thanks.  if it fails, boy does it look bad.

randy