IPv6 reverse lookup - lame delegation?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Feb 10 13:44:37 UTC 2004

Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > > By fixing the software as ip6.int was deprecated 2 years+++
> > > ago as you should already know.

For people wanting to know the real date:
RFC 3152 - Delegation of IP6.ARPA, BCP 49, dated August 2001

> > 	for backward compatibility reasons many software do
> > 		query ip6.arpa;
> > 		if (not found)
> > 			query ip6.int;
> > 	i'm not too sure if we can remove the "query ip6.int" part today.

Not yet indeed, unfortunatly. The RIR prefixes under ip6.int, at least
for RIPE, seem to exist though if they don't take it up with them.
RIPE does require 2 mails to marvin, one for ip6.int and one for ip6.arpa.

Personally I would say, don't delegate ip6.int, only use ip6.arpa and
identify the software to be fixed and fix it. Btw XP will support it
in SP2, I heared the 5500 build beta (or something) did it correcly.

New software should just *only* do ip6.arpa and not even bother with
ip6.int or fallbacks unless you explicitly need it. IRC servers are
really the only thing I can think of so that is not really important.
SSH on the otherhand is handy though.

Oh and yes, I still use 3ffe:8114:2000:240::/60 at home thus indeed
I have the problem when the ip6.arpa delegation is not there and
the software doesn't resolve it anymore...

> 	i mean, e.f.f.3.ip6.int. is not even delegated.

You obviously mean e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa.

Check the following: "RFC 3681 - Delegation of E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA"
BCP 80, January 2004, hmmm more than 2 years difference, that
took a lot of backhall politics to solve for such a simple thing.

My estimate is that it will work around 6/6/6 (2006 that is ;)
Then the 6bone will be gone anyways so it won't hurt.
Apparently the powers that be are setting it up, but as
for the complete debate on where the NS's will come nothing
is happening, there where quite a number of messages on the
6bone mailinglist about this. See:
http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/6bone/2004-January/008242.html

and the following thread ;)

Greets,