[IP] VeriSign prepares to relaunch "Site Finder" -- calls

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Tue Feb 10 04:37:09 UTC 2004

> This is an interesting suggestion that I saw on another list.  It may
> or may not be feasible, but it is certainly interesting, I must say.

why?  that is, why kill sitefinder?  there's been plenty of invective
on both sides, and a lot of unprofessional behaviour toward verisign
employees at a recent nanog meeting, which tends to bolster verisign's
claim that only the outlying whackos are actually opposed to sitefinder.

this is nanog at .  if you think sitefinder poses an operational problem
then please describe it (dispassionately).  if you think there is an
operational thing that ought to be done in response to sitefinder, then
please describe that (dispassionately).  the response you included...

> > There's an easy way to kill sitefinder stone cold dead.
> > It would be trivial to create a bot to start walking through every
> > possible 20 letter domain name - and if ICANN held them to the rules,
> > Verisign would be rather poorer in short order.

...does not describe an operational problem, and gives a financial remedy.
--
Paul Vixie