Dumb users spread viruses

Mike Jezierski - BOFH bofh at digitalfarmers.org
Mon Feb 9 18:12:50 UTC 2004

>At 02:46 PM 2/8/2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
>>In this past year's tour of my friends and family, I've taken to removing
>>their antivirus software at the same time I remove their spyware, and I've
>>taken to installing Mozilla (with its IMAP client) as a way to keep the
>>machine from having any dependency on anti-virus software.  IT managers are
>>encouraged to consider a similar move next time they're asked to approve
>>the renewal costs of a campus-wide anti-virus license.
>
>Do you honestly think that any IT manager is going to be successful
>getting an entire company to dump Outlook/Exchange and stop using
>anti-virus software?  Do you have an example (within the North
>American area of interest to NANOG members) where this has actually
>happened?
>
>IMHO, if you can convince an Outlook/Exchange using company to dump
>MS for email, you can convince them to dump MS/Windoze OSs entirely,
>which is a much more complete way to solve this problem.
>
>jc

As much as I respect Paul's opinions, are you sure Mozilla is viable
as a solution to the virus problem? I still fell it's an OS problem.
And yes even with Mozilla I still leave the AV software on a client's
PC. Lusers still like to click on things and having the mail client
/dev/null attachments is not viable as they want their family to send
attached pictures of the grandkids.

And JC, yes I am working on getting this company to move from Windows
to Mac. Windows users know better than to come to me with their
latest Windows Woes. I gently pat my iMac and say "Gee, I don't have
that problem" with a Smug BOFH grin :-)

--
Mike Jezierski
mike at digitalfarmers.org