Applying HD Ratio to all IPv4 allocations

william<at>elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Feb 9 18:42:07 UTC 2004

I would change it from requirement for HD Ration to optional choice to
use HD ratio to determine utilization when requesting additional ips.
Here  is what I would prefer for text for that policy proposal:

---
  1. All requests for additional IPv4 address space shall require the
     efficient utilization of the sum total of all existing allocations
     including all space reassigned to customers, if any.

  2. When requesting additional ip blocks ISP Members and other organizations
     with direct ARIN allocations and assigments may choose to have its
     utilization counted by means of HD Ratio, otherwise RFC2050 utilization
     guidelines should be used by ARIN

  3. The HD ratio is calculated as log(utilized IPv4 addresses) divided
     by log(total addresses in all previous allocations). In this formula,
     log refers to the natural logarithm.

  4. Efficient Utilization per RFC2050 guidelines requires 80% utilization
     of ip blocks, ARIN will verify this by requesting utilization statistics
     for one or more previously assigned or allocated ip blocks.
---

This way we do not all of a sudden change everything and at the same time
those that want to use HD Ratio would be free to do so. ARIN may also try
to promote HD ratio if it likes it by informing whoever requests ip block
that they have this choice, etc.