Dumb users spread viruses

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Mon Feb 9 01:17:00 UTC 2004

PV> Date: 08 Feb 2004 22:46:17 +0000
PV> From: Paul Vixie

PV> There is nothing wrong with a user who thinks they should not
PV> have to know how to protect their computer from virus
PV> infections.  If we (the community who provides them service
PV> and software) can't make it safe-by-default, then the problem
PV> rests with us, not with the end users.

Cool.  I guess I'll quit locking doors, leave valuable items
unsecured and unattended in plain sight, and generally rely on
law enforcement to keep everything safe.  It'll be more
convenient and less effort for me.

No?  Perhaps all parties should do as much as is reasonable.[*]
ISPs cannot block 100% of Internet nastiness.  By no stretch of
the imagination does this mean ISPs shouldn't try, but users need
to take on some responsibility, too.

[*] Fuzzy grey ideology.  Yes, I know.

Eddy
--