question on ptr rr

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Feb 8 21:59:43 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Andrew - Supernews <andrew at supernews.net> said:
> If you're going to get picky about HELO names, then it's better to
> require that the HELO has an A record pointing to the connecting IP,
> rather than look at PTR.

That isn't necessarily a good test; for example, we've got a couple of
servers in a cluster.  One IP pointed at the cluster is mail.hiwaay.net,
and that is what is used in HELO/EHLO when making outbound connections,
but the connections don't come from that IP.  They come from the cluster
member's IP so that when we get a complaint with sending IP, we don't
have to look through the logs for the whole cluster to find the
offender.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>