question on ptr rr

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sun Feb 8 00:16:09 UTC 2004

>> I've run all my mailers with aggressive PTR checks for about a year, and
>> while some of my guests aren't getting all the e-mail that's sent to them,
>> it's had no impact on me other than that periodically I have to tell some
>> remote postmaster that their PTR's are missing or that they don't match
>> the HELO hostname.  Invariably they fix it.

> ... What do you suggest otherwise-responsible operators like me do,
> when after begging SBC for two years, my reverse DNS still isn't
> delegated correctly?

buy a 1U, put it in a colo center (should cost you about $50/month) and
proxy all your outbound mail from there.  stop thinking of broadband as
anything other than a lastmile protocol between your house and your own
piece of the internet core.

or send SBC a copy of RFC 2317 every hour via a crontab.  might not be
very effective but it would sure get you talked about.  since you're a
customer they can't accuse you of spamming them...