question on ptr rr

garrett.allen at comcast.net garrett.allen at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 11:25:39 UTC 2004

this may be deemed off topic - if so apologies in advance. however i respect many of the opinions i see here so thought i would take a chance and ask.

we are a stub network, injesting about 30k emails daily.  about a year ago we implemented a spam filtering product.  it works well.  recently we turned on the knob to enable it to do reverse lookups.  only the mild version, a reverse is made on the ptr rr for the ip address sending the email.  if it fails the spam filter issues a 421 and closes the connection.  unfortunately, we have 6 sites thus far that are legitimately trying to communicate with us but don't have ptr's associated with the ip address sending emails.  since it obviously isn't a requirement to have one is it generally accepted to do so?  any sense for how many end networks do and don't?

thanks in advance.