greylisting

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com
Sat Feb 7 03:19:12 UTC 2004

Ken Leland  [2/7/2004 2:11 AM] :

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:40:14PM -0500, Dmitri Krioukov wrote:
>
>>can someone provide any comments on greylisting?
>>how effective is it, etc?
>

> we have 20 regex expressions that block mail directly from a
> reverse dns that "looks" like a consumer broadband connection.
> Then we have to maintain a whitelist on a case by case basis.

Er, I think you and Dmitri are talking about different things.

 From a mail operations standpoint, I am not a big fan of graylisting,
because even legitimate senders get 4xx'd for a while, the first time
they send mail.

When any such strategy means that someone else's mail queues are filled
with timed out emails waiting for retransmission, it d not be rocket
science to see why this just doesn't scale too well.

--
srs (postmaster|suresh)@outblaze.com // gpg : EDEDEFB9
manager, outblaze.com security and antispam operations