antivirus in smtp, good or bad?

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Tue Feb 3 18:10:43 UTC 2004

At 06:16 AM 2/3/2004, Daniel Senie wrote:
>Many viruses (most of the recent ones) forge the sender information.

It seems to me that this can be replaced with "Today's viruses almost
invariably forge the sender information." and that it no longer makes any
sense whatsoever to send a virus alert notice to the address indicated in
the "from" header.

Can anyone remember the last time they encountered a virus that *didn't*
forge the sender information?  IIRC, the last one I saw was an AnnaK virus,
~3 years ago.

jc