Strange public traceroutes return private RFC1918 addresses

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Tue Feb 3 20:56:36 UTC 2004

Leo Bicknell wrote:

>Google and Akamai are just two examples of companies with hundreds
>of thousands of machines where they move large amounts of data
>between them and have control of both ends.  Many corporations are
>now moving off-site backup data over the Internet, in large volumes
>between two end points they control.

Makes me wonder if either one of the mentioned want to take the
operational and support
burden of increasing the MTU across maybe one of the most diverse set of
paths in any
environment. I would probably never send even a 1500 byte packet if I
would be either
of them, but live somewhere in the low-1400 range.

Pete