Unbelievable Spam.

Alexander Bochmann bochmann at FreiNet.de
Tue Feb 3 16:47:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

...on Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:31:00AM +0000, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

 > When will we realize that SPAM is a social problem and it
 > needs a social solution?

I agree insofar as a solution is needed that helps making
the criminals accountable. But then, the low barriers
are probably the major reason for the success of the
mail system - I assume the likes of AOL and Compuserve
and MSN would have wanted something else before they
became some kind of value-added internet dialup providers
(or disappeared).

 > When will the major email providers
 > sit down around a table and agree to some guidelines for
 > email exchange that make it impossible for rogue users to
 > inject large volumes of email into the system?

Aren't you suggesting a technical solution here?
A social solution wouldn't need to make it impossible to
inject rogue mail into the system, it would just need
to make the sender identifiable. As soon as that's
happened, the infrastructure to take care of the
offender is already in place in the real world.
(Although I'm not shure which of both is the harder
problem.)

 > The existing
 > non-hierarchical email exchange network is not scalable.

Oh, given the amounts of spam and virii we transport
today, I think it scaled well beyond anyone's expectation,
and I don't see the big internet email meltdown coming
on any kind of technical layer soon. End-Users will
become fed up in the system much earlier.

Alex.

--
AB54-RIPE