AOL web troubles.. New AOL speedup seems to be a slowdown

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Feb 2 18:35:30 UTC 2004

"The Gunn" <webmaster at jessicastover.com> writes:

> And in response to Rob's suggestion to use SSL instead of implementing
> cache-control, it would be a pretty wasteful implementation of SSL if its
> purpose is solely to prevent a proxy from recompressing your images.

To clarify (for list readers who are out of the loop because I made
the point in a private communication) I suggested use of SSL in the
cited hypothetical case of "for example, high-res medical x-rays and
other confidential information, consumer purchased high-res images and
other copyrighted information purchased by the end user".  Given the
HIPAA and e-commerce implications of the two named cases, using SSL
would seem to be a no-brainer, and effectively renders the issue of
cache-control moot.

I also suggested that "The Gunn" read http://www.nanog.org/aup.html
item #7 and begin posting with an account that has a real name on it.

                                        ---Rob