New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Dec 21 09:40:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 06:17:42AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
>
> > and Sean will/maybe-has-already  pointed out that "unix" (in all it's
> > glorious variations) is no more secure than  anything else... as much as
> > it saddens me to say all that it sure seems to be the truth. :(
>
> Only if you turn on all the services (running as the root user), then fire
> up XF86, a web browser, and email client (also running as root).

No, wrong. Modern botnet type software can run as a non privileged user
on most Unixes. It still has enough privilege to cause great harm.
Spyware may require a little more privilege to be a bother.

You only need to "root" a unix machine if you wish to take it over and 'hide'
what you're doing or you want to use it or the information on it as a springboard
for further attacks.

Last post on this thread, its losing its N meaning.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"You don't have a TV? Then what's
<adrian at creative.net.au>	    all your furniture pointing at?"