Anycast 101

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Mon Dec 20 21:17:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> Look at how the discussions surrounding SPAM have evolved. It went
> from "damn abusers", to "damn software", to "where's the money coming
> from?". The BotNet problem has already evolved to "where's the money".
>
> Botnets are a new phenomenon. [ Gadi!?]

Botnets aren't new. They've been prototyped on various IRC networks for
years. It started with hordes of linked eggdrop bots for Death Star style
privmsg/notice flood attacks on single users (1998? 1999?). When the
response was to hunt down and remove the bots in a mass fashion (I hacked
up one of the early tools for doing it), it turned into submarine botnets
on private servers (or not connected to IRC at all) doing DDoS attacks
against targetted IP addresses. These days, it's virally injected remote
controls and soon, sharks with frickin laser beams.

- billn