Anycast 101

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Mon Dec 20 20:33:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

>>> there are some million-bot drone armies out there.  with
>> enough attackers
>>
> I know I haven't seen any 1MM+ zombie armies out there and I'm
> looking for them. Why spend all that time getting 1MM bots when you
> only need 100K?

Dormant reinforcements. Multiple operational floodnets in smaller cells.
Rapid reconfiguration of a cell, cycling in new hosts, removing hosts that
have sustained functional losses to reactive routing changes. Having those
kinds of resources on hand allows an attacker to use a 'Captain Tripps'[1]
style of attack to maintain a sustained assault on single, or even
multiple targets.

As for why? I can only answer 'why not?' Zombies are being created in an
automated fashion, as it is. If you've got the resources to handle 100k,
it's not that hard to tap some of that volume to multiplex or scale your
drone management.

- billn

[1] Stephen King, 'The Stand'