how many zombies? [was: Re: Anycast 101]

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Mon Dec 20 18:28:47 UTC 2004

>>there are some million-bot drone armies out there.  with enough attackers
>

> I've heard that claim before, but I've yet to be convinced that those
> making it were doing more than speculating.  It is not unreasonable to
> believe there are millions of bot drones, but that is not the same as
> an army under a single or even coordinated control structure.  It is
> entirely possible to build armies of that size, but maintaining them
> over any length of time is probably quite difficult.  I'd of course be
> interested to hear about any evidence to the contrary on or off list.
>
> John

Not that it is really relevant to the original discussion, but here goes...

The biggest drone armies out there are at around 200K, currently. The
bigger controllers/runners usually have drone armies of 50K - 80K size
botnets.

Most botnets are between a hundred and 10K drones.

Today, in the Quakenet IRC network we see:
There are 66360 users and 153169 invisible on 42 servers

About a year ago that was about 50K users. Back then about 20K - 30K of
those users were zombies.

IRC growth is a known thing, but it doesn't grow exponentially. People
come and go, while other chat medias slowly eat at the IRC.

With such a growth, not taking into consideration hard facts (that I do
have about several IRC networks, as there are a few big ones), and 1000
or so new malware a month (950 of which being Trojan horses that can be
used for botnets, most of which are agobots, ircbots, spybots, etc. -
IRC bots) one could assume, under the MOST restrictive terms that at
least 80K users are drones.

Again - this is hardly the only IRC network out there.
Not all drone armies are run via IRC.
And finally, there are many drone armies running on *private* IRC
servers much like anonymous FTP's are being used to hold warez.

Also note (although this is rather shaky as "fact"), that most IRC
clients set the user's mode to +i (invisible) by default. Draw your own
conclusions from the numbers above.

As to actual facts.. off list if you will be interested, and once I know
you better.

	Gadi.