New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Mon Dec 20 03:14:17 UTC 2004

Sean Donelan wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
<snip good stuff for space>
> The infection rate among all computers is abysmal.  It just happens to
> be higher among computers with AV and/or firewalls. AV/Firewalls don't
> seem to be making people safer from trojans, spyware, adware, etc. So
> perhaps we need to look for other ways to improve things.
>
> Why does it it happen?  I don't have the answers.
</lurk>

    Hrmm.. So what your suggesting is that once these systems have
their "protection" on, they just go about having "safe computing"
whenever, and wherever, they want..

   without caution, or trepidation.

    Over and over, -shamelessly-.

  And this leads, ultimately, to a higher infection rate.

  I guess we could proselytize "abstinence" from computing,
altogether. After all, not computing at ALL, is the only
100% effective method of avoiding infection.

But, history shows us that sooner or later,
the urge to compute grows -so- strong..

..we burn with the basic drive..

  and, finally, over come with frustration, intrigue,
and desire all at once, alas, we give in...

we are, after all, only human.

   Humans do have these intrinsic fundamental needs that cannot
safely be ignored.

  And, from what studies show us, -once we give in-, it is better
to -have- protection, than no protection at all, even if that
protection isn't 100% perfect, but only high 90's in effectiveness.

   So, perhaps the moral lesson is to teach -both-. Not abstinence,
-apart- from protection... nor protection, without the "rev limiter"
of proper prudence....

   But, a balance between practicing proper prudence,
		-and- donning appropriate protective precautions.

:P

(I would say no pun intended, but.... ;)

<lurk>