New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Mon Dec 20 00:04:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 12:26:31AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Barney Wolff:
>
> > Perhaps, then, one should not be so quick to disparage software-based
> > firewalls, resident on the computer itself.
>
> Yes, but it's only a real obstacle if the malware doesn't run with
> SYSTEM privileges.  If it's impossible for home users to work with
> reduced privileges, a host-based filter is no good (unless it's a very
> obscure brand which is not targeted by the malware 8-).

In general, home firewalls are better at preventing infection than
containing it.  That's true no matter where the firewall resides.

> By the way, do you know if these "hardware firewalls" have a
> management interface on a factory-default IP address?

192.168.0.1 admin/admin is a good bet.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.