New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sun Dec 19 04:11:38 UTC 2004

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Just asking .. any idea how many cable / dsl operators around the
> world - not just in the USA - provide hardware firewalls along with
> their CPE equipment - or perhaps provide CPE equipment that's capable
> of firewalling?

Both regional cable providers in our area provide only cheap cable
modems, and at least the ILEC CO's DSL is also basic modem-like
capability, although the ILEC offers a wireless option with a DSL AP
(that I haven't examined to see if it's a router or bridge).

At least one of the cable providers provides free virus/firewall
software (F-Secure).

Don't know of any hardware security offerings bundled or offered.

Jeff