New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sun Dec 19 04:04:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 09:13:29AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:07:58 -0500 (EST), Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> > > Just asking .. any idea how many cable / dsl operators around the
> > > world - not just in the USA - provide hardware firewalls along with
> > > their CPE equipment - or perhaps provide CPE equipment that's capable
> > > of firewalling?
> >
> > How many dialup operators around the world provide hardware firewalls? Or
> > is the modem built into your computer or bought as an add-on card?
>
> Not a valid comparison.

	well, i think the dial angle is important to keep in mind..

	while a lot of us have migrated to higher speed links at home,
on my street here's the high speed choices:

	1) ISDN
	2) T1
	3) Satellite
	4) 22.4k dialup (if lucky)

	#1 and #2 aren't very likely in a residental location

	#3 directv and others offer a service, but you're usually
natted in the first place, so you're ok.

	everyone out here has #4.

	i also talk to a lot of people that don't consider their
machine a problem since they're on dial-up.  "oh, what harm could
they do with my piddly computer on a modem".

	22.4k*500 compromised hosts still starts to add up, which is
something that doesn't quite sink in with these people.

	they just don't see any value in patching their system since it
would be forever to download them, and they're too lazy to order a CD
or such from Microsoft (Thank you for offering the CDs!).

	I don't know how to reach these people.  I've gotten my immediate
family to understand to keep their systems patched.  Now for the
rest of the population that doesn't feel this is important..

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net